If I ever have to eat something for the rest of my life then this is what I want. I can eat and bake this comforting beef mince pie any day and every day for the rest of my life.
It’s the last Sunday before Christmas Day!! Yay!! I’m dancing, screaming, shouting and singing at the top of my voice. Are you excited too??
This cozy weather is here to stay! I wish Christmas was all year around!! Don’t you wish that too?
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Today, I would like to share with you all this recipe that is so close to my heart, this comforting beef mince pie. It is like a Shepherds Pie but with my personal touch and is definitely a special food in my kitchen- ONE OF MY MAJOR DELICIOUS CRAVING TOO!!!
Back home for any occasion and especially for pot lucks, I would generally make this mince pie. I have various versions of it to cook the mince. My most loved version is with some Goan pork sausages and that’s the special ingredient used in this recipe. You can also make the mince base recipe with black-eyed peas or even normal green peas. I’ve also made it with sweetcorn before. You can DIY it according to your preference. That’s something I most adore about cooking or baking. You can make any dish your way, to please your palate.
The creamy cheesy potato topping is everything!! It can be eaten by itself too as a potato mash or maybe formed into croquettes, coated with semolina or breadcrumbs and pan fried.
This is the recipe which will be a highlight of my restaurant or cozy cafeteria, if I ever open one. I’d sell this as a special every day. It is that amazing! A definite must try.
Add this to your Christmas menu and surprise your family around the Christmas lunch/dinner table this Christmas Day. Now with London entering Tier 4, make this for those you’re spending Christmas at home with. If you’re alone then still make sure to reduce the quantity and bake it for yourself.
Some other Goan recipe to try:
Comforting Beef mince pie
To marinate the mince
- 1 kg 15% Fat Irish Beef Steak Mince
- 1 pod Garlic roughly crushed until a coarse paste
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Goan Homemade Toddy Vinegar (recipe on the blog)
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly crushed pepper to taste
To cook the mince
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 nos White onion large, finely chopped
- 3 nos Tender carrots cut into small thin cubes
- 20 nos Goan pork small sausages casing and thread removed, cut into smaller pieces.
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
For the potato topping
- 8 nos Potatoes large-boiled,peeled and mashed
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1½ cup Grated Cheese of choice
- White pepper powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Begin by marinating the mince with all the ingredients mentioned above and letting it sit overnight or for atleast 2 hours. The longer, the better.
- Boil the potatoes whole until soft. Peel them, mash them and add all the mentioned ingredients while still hot so that the cheese and butter melts. This makes the mash creamier. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat some oil. Once hot enough add the onions with some salt and sauté it until slightly golden brown.
- Next add in the carrots and fry them for a min or two.
- Finally add the mince and brown it well in the onion mixture for about 5 mins.
- Next add the sausage, and a cup of water. Let the mince cook until done. At this point all the gravy will be well incorporated in the mince.
- In a large baking tray, start by spreading the mince layer. Level it.
- Next add the mash layer. Level it with a fork making a design. You can even pipe this mixture on the top. Add some extra grated cheese if preferred.
- Grill in an oven until the top layer is crisp and golden brown. Serve hot.
- You can replace the Toddy vinegar with any vinegar of choice or maybe even malt vinegar as they have a similar taste.
- Also, use any beef mince of choice- you can also do half pork and half beef mince.
- Make the base veggies, the cheese vegan and you’ve got the same recipe vegan or vegetarian.
- I used a mixture of grated Mozzarella, medium Cheddar and Strong Cheddar for this recipe, you can use any cheese of choice.
- I marinated the beef overnight in the refrigerator but you can even marinate it for two hours.
- If you’re serving this to your guests, then grill the bake 15 mins before serving. The baking tray goes directly from the oven to the table.
- Add any veggies of choice to the meat. You can even add some green peas or sweet corn.
- Mix the mash when hot with all the ingredients as it’ll melt the cheese and butter to make it even creamier.
- Add any other sausage of choice, if you can’t get your hands on some Goan sausages.
- While cooking the mince, make sure not to add too much water as the mince will release some juices as it cooks. Also, the final cooked mince mixture has to be comparatively dry but not too much.
- I grilled this for 15-20 mins or until that golden brown crispy top.
BEFORE YOU GO
If you make this recipe, please make sure to tag me on a post on Instagram using the hashtag #deliciouscravingsatvaniaskitchen.
Please make sure to subscribe to the blog to get more festive recipes right to your inbox.
Have a great Holiday season!! Be kind!