This simple and easy-to-make spinach caldo is one of our favourite broth recipes. This caldo is power-packed with good minerals, vitamins and fibre.
SHORT NOTE ABOUT THIS BROTH
Caldo simply means broth in Portuguese. This recipe is inspired by the very famous Caldo Verde which is a Portuguese Broth recipe. However, this recipe is my mums recipe which she used to make quite often at home. She does make the best soups and broths, to be honest.
This soup/broth is perfect for this quarantined or self isolation time to boost your immunity as it is packed with deliciously healthy spinach.
Also, I have another post which gives you other essential foods and drinks to boost your immunity. Check here to know more about it.
If you’re looking for another soup recipe then this potato leek soup is a must try and one of my favs.
So, the recipe below is perfect if you’d want something light as a meal while watching Netflix and chilling. Definitely recommend this recipe with your family and friends to let them taste its goodness too.
This spinach caldo is very simple, quick and easy to make and is the perfect kind of comfort food. Reminds me of the comfort of being home warm in my PJs. It is one of those perfect kind of soups to have for this slight chilly early spring days.
Enjoy a hot cuppa of this broth while reading some books or watching some series. I would highly recommend the book Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness by Vex King especially if you think you can’t deal with the lock down anymore and you feel like giving up. That’s what I’d been feeling for a few days now. As I really want to go out but cannot only for my well-being. However, this book, some podcasts and regular meditation is helping me through these tough times.
Let’s get to making this broth…
- 2 cups Baby Spinach or large leaves spinach
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3 cubes Cheese cut into small pieces or 1 cup grated cheese of your choice
- 5 nos Potatoes medium sized-peeled, boiled and mashed
- 4 nos Veg Maggi Cubes
- Water as per requirement
- Freshly crushed peppercorns to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Salted or Unsalted butter optional
- 2 tbsp Olive oil drizzle on top before serving
- Wash, peel, boil and mash the potatoes. Set aside.
- Boil the spinach in little water for about 3-4 mins. Not for too long as you do not want the spinach to loose its colour. When all the spinach is completely wilted and has turned bright green, it is done.
- Add the potatoes to this spinach mixture. Using a hand blender or any other blender, purée the mixture well.
- Return to the pan. Add milk and water as per requirement to maintain the consistency. You want a thick broth so do not add too much water. Approx. 2-3 cups of water should be good enough.
- Next add the cheese cubes cutting them into small pieces or grated so that it melts well.
- Add the veg maggi cubes, salt and freshly crushed pepper and give it a good boil.
- Next you can mix in a 2 tbsp of butter or just drizzle with some olive oil and serve hot with a piece of toasted bread.
- You can omit the butter as that’s to be included only if preferred.
- You can also serve it with some fresh cream on top or just some nicely toasted croutons or even some cheeslings.
- This recipe can also be used to make a soup of other greens like broccoli, kale, etc. just tweak the recipe accordingly.
AND TO CONCLUDE
If you end up making this recipe then do comment down below and let me know how it turns out.
Also, do not forget to tag me with your food pictures on Instagram using the hashtag #deliciouscravingsatvaniaskitchen. Please do follow me on my other social media like Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter to enjoy various food-related adventures.
Until next time! Ciao!