Raw Mango Chutney
A savoury sweetish, sour and spicy raw mango relish made by slow cooking the raw mango in spiced vinegar.
Prep Time1 d 15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 d 1 hr
Servings: 1 medium sized bottle
Prepping the raw mangoes
- 10 nos Raw mangoes
- Salt to taste
Cooking the chutney
- 200 ml Vinegar
- 1 ½ inch Ginger
- 10-15 nos Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder as per preference
- Sugar to taste
Peel the raw mangoes, slice them and keep the seeds aside. The seeds can be discarded. Finely chop the mango flesh into small cubes.
Salt it well and keep it for a day to marinate.
Finely chopped ginger and garlic and keep aside.
In a heavy bottom pan, boil some vinegar with the chopped ginger and garlic, chilli powder and sugar for about 5 mins.
Next add the raw mango and cook on a low flame until the gravy thickens and the mango is cooked and soft to eat.
Check for taste and add more sugar or salt if required. You can also add more chilli powder if you like it spicy.
Once ready, bottle it up and enjoy with some nice hot chapatis or papad.
- The raw mango seeds can be used in curries for that extra tangy flavour. I prefer them with some nice Goan Prawn Curry. These can even be dried and stored to use for any food preparations later.
- If you salt the raw mango pieces today morning, you can cook the chutney the next morning so it has enough time to marinate.
- If stored in a cool place or refrigerated, this chutney can be eaten for months.
- I used homemade toddy vinegar for this recipe but you can use any vinegar of your choice.
- I've used Kashmiri red chilli powder for this recipe because it is one of those red chilli powders which aren't too spicy but gives a nice deep red colour to any dish.
- The ingredients can be adjusted according to ones preference. It is better to eyeball these ingredients according to personal choice.