Homemade Grape Wine
A sweet homemade comforting wine
Prep Time1 hr
Resting time30 d
Total Time30 d 1 hr
Servings: 5 750ml bottles
- 1 kg Loose grapes green and dark purple ones
- 1-1½ kg Sugar
- 750 ml Distilled water 5 bottles
- 50 gm Yeast Wine Yeast
- 50 gm Rice grains Raw, Boiled rice (Goan field grown rice)
- 50 gm Wheat grains
Clean the grapes properly. Remove any stalks or stems.
In a large barrel, place the grapes, 5 bottles of distilled water, yeast, rice grains and wheat grains. Cover it well.
The next day, smash the grapes with clean hands.
Continue doing this every day for 22 days. You can continue doing this for even a month.
After a month or after 22 days, strain the wine using a muslin cloth. Press the reside completely dry.
Take a little of the must (brownish in colour Juice) and put it in a vessel. Place this vessel on a medium flame and gradually add the sugar until it caramelises. Leave it to cool down.
Add this to the remaining must in the barrel and stir well. This will give wine its colour. Add more sugar in the same way if you want the wine to be sweeter.
The wine is ready. Keep it stored in a cool place.
Enjoy with some deliciously cooked food.
- Use fresh juicy grapes. Make sure to clean them well before making the wine.
- You can use a mixture of both the grapes, white and black or even either by itself.
- Make sure to use distilled water.
- Make sure the wine is kept in a cool, dark room. In Goa, it is mostly kept in the store room undisturbed.
- The longer the wine is kept, the better it tastes.