Goan Brinjal (Eggplant/Aubergine) Pickle
This is one of Goa's most made pickles. Its peculiar taste makes it a favourite amongst many.
- 4 nos Aubergines large ones, cut into small cubes
- 2-3 tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Vegetable oil for pickling as much as possible or more
- Curry leaves handful
- Vinegar to taste
- ½ cup Recheado masala recipe linked below, add more if needed
- Sugar as per taste
Wash and pat dry the aubergines. Then cut the aubergines into small cubes. To it add turmeric powder and salt. Spread it out well and keep it to dry in the sun for a day or two. Once its nice and dry follow the next steps.
In a heavy bottom pan add enough oil. When the oil gets hot enough add the curry leaves, recheado masala, vinegar and sugar for taste. Fry it well for a few minutes.
Now add the aubergine cubes and keep it on a low flame until it cooks for about 5-10mins. Taste for seasoning.
Once cooled, keep it bottled up up to a year with some oil on top so it doesn't get spoilt.
- Measure the other ingredients as per the quantity of the brinjal.
- Follow this recheado masala recipe for the above pickle recipe.
- Best eaten with plain rice and some fish curry or stuffed in a bread.
- This pickle can be kept out in normal room temperature in a cool dry place. Store for up to a year.
- Perfect when made during summers.